Points of Interest
Elk Lake Park and Disk Golf Course, Phillips, off of Cty. Rd H and Hwy. 13. Shelter kitchen facilities, running water and toilets. Playground equipment, volleyball court, basketball court, lighted paved walking trail, shelter, grills, handicap fishing pier, boat landing, boat dock. This park now features a 9-hole disk golf course with a bonus 10th hole that doubles as a practice putt basket close to the first tee box. The course is crafted around the available trees and landscape to make an enjoyable round for both beginners and experts alike.
Phillips Chain-O-Lakes Park & Campground, Phillips, off Cty. Rd. H. Picnic tables, benches, bathrooms, and changing area, city beach, no lifeguard on duty. Campground features 20 campsites along beautiful Elk Lake.
Little League Park, Phillips, First Street off of Flambeau Ave. Playground, shelter, pit toilets, grills.
Lidice Memorial/Sokol Park, Phillips, 1 block off of Hwy. 13, corner of Fifield and Ash Streets. Picnic tables. The monument in the park is in memory of Lidice, a village in Czechoslovakia razed to the ground by the Nazi Gestapo. The monument was completed and dedicated in 1944.
Bostrom Park & Phillips Fire Memorial, Phillips, Hwy. 13. Picnic tables and benches.
Kennan Memorial Park, Kennan, W10309 Park Road. Baseball/softball diamond, horseshoe pits, picnic tables, playground, restrooms, shelter, volleyball.
Village of Catawba Park, Catawba, N4568 High Street. Baseball/softball diamond, horseshoe pits, picnic tables, playground, restrooms, shelter, volleyball.
Knox Creek Heritage Center, Brantwood, Hwy. 8 east to West Knox Creek Road and go south, N4517 West Knox Road. The Knox Creek Heritage Center an affiliate of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin is comprised of turn-of-the-century farmstead with many buildings.The first few segments of the Heritage Trail, near Brantwood, are open for hiking and exploring in summer and skiing and snow shoeing in winter. Just follow the “orange ribbon road.”
VFW Memorial Park, Prentice, Turner Street. Picnic tables, benches.
Riverfront Park, Prentice, West of Railroad Avenue on the Jump River Reservoir. Picnic tables, fishing, grills.
Buccaneer Pond, Prentice, Town and Pine Street Intersection. Swimming, drinking water, toilets, picnic tables, fishing, grills.
Pioneer Park & Campground, Ogema, W4905 Holmes St., located just off Hwy. 86 in downtown Ogema on Mil Pond. This equestrian-friendly rustic campground has an open area large enough for 7 camping units with 6 fire rings, 3 grills and several picnic tables; pavilion, drinking water, flush toilets, carry-in boat access, shore fishing, playground, tether ball, sand box, nature trails, ball field, horseshoe pits, ATV, horse pull track, horse hitching post, access to the Pine Line Rail Trail.
Old Town Hall Museum, Fifield, North of Phillips in Fifield on Hwy 13. Museum houses artifacts from the logging days of Price County from 1879 to 1930’s. Camp artifacts, railroad memorabilia, a Victorian period living room and kitchen and various displays. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Movrich Memorial Community Park, Fifield, N14022 Willow Ave. A Wisconsin Historical Society Marker explains how this site on the South Fork of the Flambeau River was used as a sorting pond where logs were separated by logging company brand marks and then sent down river. A white spruce tree, a clone of the 1983 Capitol Christmas Tree taken from the nearby Riley Creek area in the Chequamegon National Forest, was planted as a memorial to the 50-year-old, 52-foot spruce that was cut down. Basketball, picnic shelters, playground, restrooms, volleyball.
Round Lake Logging Dam, Fifield, North of Phillips to Fifield, go 16 miles East on Hwy. 70 to Forest Road #144. Originally built in 1878 on the South Fork of the Flambeau River, stands as testimony to Wisconsin’s lumber boom of the 1800’s. In 1995 the dam was completely rebuilt using the historic timbers and original iron hardware. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Phillips Community Swimming Pool 990 Flambeau Avenue. Indoor swimming pool, wading pool, climbing wall, whirlpool.
Phillips Tennis Courts Phillips High School on Flambeau Avenue.
Phillips Ice Skating Rink Corner of Wyoming and Forest Avenue.
Phillips Skateboard Park Behind the Municipal Building in Phillips.
Fall Color Auto & Bike Tours Price County Various Maps Available. Price County’s forests come alive with brilliant color during the onset of fall. Our xtensive network of lightly traveled state, county and forest roads are perfect place to travel by auto, bike or motorcycle.
PRICE COUNTY PARKS
Smith Lake County Park & Campground, Park Falls, Hwy. 13 to Park Falls, West about 2½ miles on County E, then South about 1 mile on Omaha Road. 30 unit campground, all with electric hook-ups, year round. Plus 2 canoe/kayak-in only campsites. Open air shelter, shower/flush toilets, picnic tables, pressure water, boat landing, fishing, sand beach, hiking trails, playground, ATV trail access to the Tuscobia State Trail.
Solberg Lake County Park & Campground, Phillips, Hwy. 13 north to old 13, right on W. Solberg Lake Road. 60 campsites, playground, boat landing, public beach, shelter, electricity, drinking water, seasonal showers, flush toilets, RV dup station, ATV and UTV trail access.
Wisconsin Concrete Park, Phillips, 1 mile south of Phillips on Hwy 1. In 1950, at age 65, retired lumberjack Fred Smith began construction of the Wisconsin Concrete Park. He created over 200 sculptures built on wooden frames wrapped with mink wire. The frames, covered with hand-mixed cement, are embellished with various materials, such as glass, wood, mirrors, metal and stone. Some of his most widely recognized statues include Ben Hur, the Lincoln Todd Monument, Sacajawea, Paul Bunyan and Iwo Jima Monument. Smith’s work is internationally regarded as a masterwork of American sculpture and a fascinating collection of folk art. The park is maintained by the Price County Forestry and Parks Department and the Price County Tourism Department with assistance from the Friends of Fred Smith, Inc. Art Workshops and Events offered on a regular basis.
Timm’s Hill County Park, Ogema, Hwy. 13 south, east on Hwy. 86, 14 miles. Wisconsin’s highest geographic point, at 1951.5 feet above sea level. The view from the observation tower is beautiful. Enjoy fishing hiking, biking, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing.
Big Falls County Park, Kennan, Hwy. 13 south to Hwy. 111 to Hwy 8 west, south 10 miles on Cty. Rd. N to Big Falls Road.Enjoy a beautiful stretch of rapids on the Jump River. Picnic grounds with a short walking trail which parallels the river offers a great view of the Big Falls scenic cascades. 6 rustic campsites, drinking water, shelter, vault toilets, hiking trail, shore fishing.
FLAMBEAU RIVER STATE FOREST
Connors Lake, Winter, 21 miles West of Phillips on Hwy. W. 30 campsites, drinking water, shelter, swimming beach, pit toilets, boat landing, dump station nearby.
Lake of the Pines Campground,Winter, 30 rustic campsites, drinking water, pit toilets, fishing, handicapped facilities.
Little Falls/Slough Gundy, Winter, Located west of Phillips, take Cty. Rd. W 20.5 miles to Cty. Rd. M-7 ½ miles. View the rugged whitewaters of the South Fork of the Flambeau River. Enjoy a picnic or fish or just take in the spectacular sight of huge boulders and peaceful pine forest.
Flambeau River State Forest The Flambeau River State Forest covers parts of Price, Sawyer, Rusk, Ashland and Iron Counties. Often referred to as the home of the “premier white water river in the Midwest,” the Flambeau River provided a unique wilderness experience that people of all ages can enjoy. Camping is permitted at designated sites along the north fork of the river.
CHEQUAMEGON-NICOLET NATIONAL FOREST
Copper Falls State Park Copper Falls State Park is approximately 55 miles north of Phillips near Mellen. Established in 1929, the park carries the name of the 29-foot falls that marks the first drop of the Bad River as it flows through about two miles of steep-walled canyons of awesome and rugged splendor. There are marked hiking trails, two camping areas, swimming, fishing and cross country ski trail loops in the park.
Morgan Falls and St. Peter’s Dome Morgan Falls and St. Peter’s Dome are located near Mellen. Hike the trail one-half mile from the parking area to this 70 ft cataract. Continue hiking from the falls for one mile to the top of St. Peter’s Dome. St. Peter’s Dome is a red granite summit about 1,600 ft. elevation. On clear days Lake Superior is visible about 20 miles to the north.
Fifield Fire Tower Located 5 miles east of Fifield on State Hwy 70. The tower will be listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is maintained by the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. The Fifield fire tower stands 100 feet high and was built in 1932.At one time, nearly 40 towers stood vigilant in the Wisconsin Northwoods, lifting lookouts above the trees to detect and report forest fires.
Sailor Lake Campground Hwy. 70 East to Sailor Lake Rd. 25 rustic, shady campsites with tent pads, parking spurs, fire grills, and picnic tables; fee required; tents, trailers, and RVs up to 45+ feet; 11 sites can be reserved, 14 sites are first come, first served; one double campsite, 3 walk-in sites; drinking water, vault toilets, open-air shelter, developed boat ramp; access to the Flambeau Trail System (allows ATVs, UTVs and off-road motorcycles).
Smiths Rapids Campground & Covered Bridge Intersection of Hwy. 13 and Hwy. 70 in Fifield, drive east 12.5 miles on Hwy. 70 to Forest Road 148. Turn left (north) on FR 148 1.8 miles. The only glued laminated Town Lattice covered bridge in Wisconsin, constructed in 1991. Built for aesthetic & practical reasons, because of its location near Smith Rapids Campground on the South Fork of the Flambeau River in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. Drinking water, vault toilets and picnic area, carry-in boat access for canoe/kayaks, access to the River Saddle Equestrian Trail, scenic view of covered bridge.
Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest The Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest covers more than 1.5 million acres of Wisconsin’s Northwoods. The Chequamegon side of the forest covers about 858,400 acres in Ashland, Bayfield, Sawyer, Price, Taylor and Vilas counties while the Nicolet side covers nearly 661,400 acres in Florence, Forest, Langlade, Oconto, Oneida and Vilas counties.